Friday, November 23, 2007

Give Thanks.

This Thanksgiving was my very first one, ever, to spend away from my family. Normally, when my Grandmother was alive, we would all spend Thanksgiving together at my Aunts. That tradition hasn't happened for a few years now, I'm sure they still spend Thanksgiving together but we aren't invited or spoken to, and my immediate family has made a tradition of their own. But this year was different, since we spent last Thanksgiving with my parents we decided to spend this year at his Mom's and we will rotate each year, and I have to say it was a lot of fun. Although we were about 3 hours late, because apparently we can't be anywhere on time, and accidently slept in but we made it while it was still light out. I was going to make some sort of dessert, or bring the wine, but my expenses decided otherwise so I showed up empty handed. His Mom ended up making a turkey, of course, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, cauliflower and cheese, home made stuffing, rolls and deviled eggs. That's all I can remember off the top of my head, anyway. I've never had cauliflower and cheese before but it was delicious, I'm not even sure how she made it most likely she baked it, and maybe I'll snag the recipe from her. My other favorites were the green bean casserole and the home made stuffing. As we sat around the table making jokes, laughing, and eating until we were miserable I was thankful that I was able to fit into William's family so well. For most "wives" their in-laws are always seemed as a bother but with his family I'm comfortable and I get along with them really well so I'm glad for that. Plus I think being able to get along with your soon-to-be husband makes things a lot easier later on down the road and the fact that they welcomed me into there home and they like me so much. Anyway, after eating until we could no longer stand it we moved into the living room and talked for a bit, well they talked while I started the laundry, and just sat around and visited for a while. The boys, and his little sister, also played guitar hero but everyone soon tired of that. After a while we ended up having some Pumpkin Pie, that his little sister made, and sat around the table talking and laughing and cracking jokes at each other. Between all this I finished our laundry, which was a small four loads, and joined in on the conversation. We had a few drinks, wine coolers, and then headed home. Overall it was a great Thanksgiving and I wish I would have whipped out my digital camera and snapped pictures like I had planned on doing. The best thing is that we now have left overs, and a pie, in our soon-to-be bare refrigerator. Now I guess I'll do the typical "What I'm Thankful For This Year" in bullets. 

  • I'm thankful to still be waking up each and every morning and enjoying my life. To be growing as a person and seeing myself change from a teenager into a woman. To finally be accomplishing goals that I have set out for myself and not give up when things don't go as planned. To realize that life isn't always the way we plan it and to be able to survive the twists and turns that have been thrown my way. 
  • I'm so thankful for my parents. Growing up I couldn't wait to get out of the house and never appreciated my parents as much as I have these past few years. They have been there for me numerous times when they didn't have to be. They've been more then understanding and supportive and I can't thank them enough for that. 
  • I'm thankful that I have a job, and was able to buy a car, so that I can slightly afford to live on my own. That I have a beautiful apartment, clothes on my back and food in my pantry. 
  • Last but not least in the slightest, I'm thankful for William. I would have never guessed that I could be as happy as I am with him. He's so patient, understanding, loving and just way too good to me. He makes me smile each and every morning when I wake up next to him. And though sometimes I may yell or we might argue I couldn't picture myself being with anyone else in the world. I'm so glad that we have grown together as a couple and become closer and stronger this past year. That our love has surpassed what I thought love was like and continue to fall a little deeper each and everyday. He's my sanity, my heart and my missing piece. Here's to spending our second Thanksgiving together and many more to come in the future.
And though this may some incomplete or a unfinished entry I think it's a perfect way to end it. Hope everyone else's Thanksgiving was as good as mine and that each and every one of you has as much to be thankful as I do. 

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

Life Through My Eyes.

Labels

My photo
Wife. Full-Time Office Assistant. Housewife. Married. Nerd At Heart. Cooking And Cleaning Are My Stress Relievers. Fall Wedding 2008. Avid Book Reader. Sarcastic Humor. Psychology Lover. Wannabe Photographer. Brand New Pet Owner.