Monday, January 26, 2009

Weekend Getaway.

This past weekend we made the trek up to Kansas to spend time with Mr. V's extended family. Also his Grandparents were celebrating their 60th Wedding Anniversary and they invited us to celebrate along with them. Saturday morning we woke up at the crack of dawn so that we could make it in time to drop off Bella at my Aunt's house. Anytime that Bella has to ride in the car it's always an event and of course this time was no different. We ended up stopping in the freezing cold to take care of a sick puppy, poor thing, and then realized we had left our coats at home and had to backtrack to the house and get them. We finally made it to my Aunt's house and let Bella and Zeke, their dog, get acquainted. After we saw that they would have no problem getting along we tried to coax Bella into her crate since my Aunt was leaving as well to go car shopping. Of course she was being timid and shy and would not come near her crate or the pepporoni my Aunt tried to lure her in with. So I picked her up, spoiled brat, and felt her claws did into my skin. While trying to put her into her crate her claws scrapped across my skin leaving two long red marks. Her nails need to be cut badly but no one will cut them for us because she causes such a ruckus about it. Anyway, we say our goodbye's and leave for Mr. V's house but decide that we want breakfast first and make a stop at Denny's. After warming up and our bellies were full we ventured out into the cold again to his Mom's house. Apparently his Mom stayed up until six in the morning finishing her Mom and Dad's scrapbook of their lives/kids/wedding, etc. so she was not fully awake when we arrived but happy to see us none the less. Since Mr. V's little sister was not able to make the trip with us, she had other plans, we waited for her friends to arrive and then piled into the car and headed towards Kansas. Thank goodness I brought my book with me or I would have been extremely bored. We ended up stopping at Taco Mayo for lunch, a tradition with his family when driving to Kansas, and had a Choco Taco. Which is a taco like shell, think ice cream cone shell, with Vanilla ice cream on the inside with fudge and chocolate on the outside, probably sounds disgusting but it was rather tasty. The weather report we had read the night before said it was snowing then and we were hoping to see some remaining snow but I guess it all melted before we got there. And I don't think I will ever complain about it being cold here again since the temperature the entire weekend was in the 20's and below along with freezing wind. We ended up staying with Mr. V's Aunt and Uncle is their gorgeous brand new home. It smelt like cinnamon when we first walked in and we immediately called dibs on the basement bedroom. I'm pretty sure their basement is as big as our entire house. I hope that when Mr. V and I are older that we can have a beautiful home like theirs. We ordered pizza and sat around catching up and waiting for his Grandparents to arrive. Of course as soon as his Grandma gets there she just has to sit on the couch by me and asks how the beautiful bride is doing. Do you see now why I love his family so much? After dinner we sat around and talked some more mostly about his Grandparents and their lives and how they meet. They both have had such a fascinating life that I really enjoyed hearing about everything they had to say. After a while the conversation died down and the grandparents left and everyone seemed to be exhausted. We headed our separate ways into each of our bedrooms and I'm pretty sure as soon as my head hit the pillow I was asleep.


On Sunday we all met, all the "kids" and grandparents, for brunch and had a lovely time together. Mr. V's Uncle, the doctor, ended up having his desert brought out to him before his meal, a "Blondie", which I have never seen someone do before. We ate and talked and laughed and Mr. V and I split a dessert which was decadent and delicious. After brunch we headed over to the reception hall to set up for their Anniversary Party. The decorations included photos from when the couple was younger and little tidbits on their lives as well as their wedding license and a small book from the wedding its self. There were also two bride and groom bears, a ballon with "Happy Anniversary" on it, a lovely white lace Guestbook. Mr. V's Aunt brought a beautiful vanilla sheet cake with white frosting and light purple flowers and hearts to serve to the guests. The first guests started to arrive and the Grandparents had still not made it to their own party. I suppose that's where Mr. V gets his lack of promptness that he blames on me from time to time. I was amazed at the turnout, at least fifty people showed up, and how many gifts and cards there were. Seeing them together you can still see the sparks in their eyes and the undying love that they have for one another it was truly inspiring. After things had died down we took photos of the family and the Grandkids that came plus me. We tided the place up, helped carry gifts to their car, and said our goodbyes. After grabbing our luggage we started our trek home minus one. Mr. V's younger brother decided to fly home with his Uncle instead of riding with us back. You see his Uncle is a Pastor and a friend of his flew him into Kansas and home as a personal favor. Fancy, eh? This time the trip felt like it took much longer then the ride to Kansas but that might be because I was unable to read my book, because I don't have a book light, and past time quickly. Although I did have Mr. V's Zune to keep me somewhat entertained with episodes of 30 Rock and The Office. We ended up making it into town around 11:00 that evening, I fell asleep for about a hour in the backseat, and we headed straight to my Aunt's to pick up Bella. Around one in the morning we arrived to our house, finally, only to get six hours of sleep and be up bright and early for work the next morning. It was nice being able to see his family and celebrate with his Grandparents, but it sure made for a tiring weekend, but hopefully next time we visit we will not be in such a time crunch.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

Life Through My Eyes.

Labels

My photo
Wife. Full-Time Office Assistant. Housewife. Married. Nerd At Heart. Cooking And Cleaning Are My Stress Relievers. Fall Wedding 2008. Avid Book Reader. Sarcastic Humor. Psychology Lover. Wannabe Photographer. Brand New Pet Owner.